Our vision is precious, and to protect your eyesight it is essential to have regular examinations. Eye exams not only ensure your prescription is correct, but also allow us to check the health of your eyes.
As Summers Opticians we offer longer appointment times than frequently found at other Opticians. Most of our patients only require an eye examination once every 2 years, so we want to provide the most thorough eye examination available, with time to clearly explain the results and answer any questions you may have.
We offer our patients 2 levels of eye examination, our Advanced Eye Examination and the Standard Eye Examination.
All of our eye examinations involve your Optometrist taking a detailed history and assessment of your current vision. Your Optometrist will then complete a series of core tests, including recording your vision and calculating your spectacle prescription.
However, for the greatest peace of mind we strongly recommend our Advanced Eye Exam to all our patients, enabling us to provide you with the most comprehensive eye care available.
Our Advanced Eye Examination includes all of the standard components you’d expect from a basic sight test, but a thorough screening of the retina is vital to verify that your eyes are healthy. In order to achieve this, our Advanced Eye Examination utilises the most up-to-date imaging techniques usually found only in hospital eye departments.
Our Advanced Eye Exam provides:
- Imaging techniques to show a healthy eye or detect changes
- A detailed view of the retina, giving us a more comprehensive view than other methods
- The opportunity for you to view and discuss the images of your eye with your Optometrist at the time of your exam
- An exact record of how the back of your eye looks, so in the future any change can be found by comparing the images to previous years. In this way any changes can be detected at an early stage, whilst easier to treat
Our Advanced Eye Examination includes Optos Optomap Ultra-Widefield Retinal Imaging. Summers Opticians are amongst a small number of practices in the UK who have invested in this technology, enabling us to view up to 97% of your retina. As a comparison, standard digital retinal photography, offered by most UK practices, shows as little as 15% of the retinal surface.
You will also benefit from an OCT scan, often described as an MRI for the eye. Our Heidelberg OCT allows your Optometrist to see a cross-sectional image of the layers of your retina, and can also be used to evaluate disorders of the optic nerve.
These imaging techniques are quick, painless, and non-invasive, and provide your Optometrist with the most detailed picture of your eye health and vision.
Choosing the advanced eye examination gives you the greatest peace of mind, knowing you have had the most thorough and fully comprehensive eye exam available.
Our Advanced Eye Examination
Our Standard Eye Examination
You are eligible for a free NHS sight test if you:
- are under 16
- are 16, 17 or 18 and in full-time education
- are 60 or over
- are registered as partially sighted or blind
- have been diagnosed with diabetes or glaucoma
- are 40 or over and your mother, father, sibling or child has been diagnosed with glaucoma
- have been advised by an eye doctor (ophthalmologist) that you’re at risk of glaucoma
- are eligible for an NHS complex lens voucher – your optician can advise you about your entitlement
- receive income based benefits, i.e. Income Support, Working Families Tax Credit, Income Based Job Seekers Allowance and Pension Credit Guarantee Credit
- hold a valid NHS HC2 certificate