Blepharitis is a very common condition characterised by inflammation on the edges of the eyelids, common symptoms include:
- Itchy, sore and red eyelids
- A burning, gritty sensation
- Crusting of the eyelashes
- Intermittently blurred vision
- Sensitivity to light
- A loss of eye lashes or abnormal eye lash growth
The three most common causes of blepharitis are:
- An inflammatory reaction to the naturally occurring bacteria that live on the skin of the eyelids and eyelashes
- Underlying skin conditions, such as rosacea, which cause blockages in the meibomian glands of the eye lids resulting in inflammation
- A demodex mite infestation of the eyelash follicle and meibomian gland, known as demodex blepharitis. This can result in significant inflammation and discomfort
Treatment for blepharitis will differ depending upon the underlying cause of the inflammation, but most treatments follow a three-stage process:
- Removing the debris from around the eyelids and lashes, our Blephex treatment providing the most effective results
- Using heat to melt the blocked meibum in the eyelid glands
- Unblocking the meibomian glands by gently expressing the unwanted meibum
Other treatment options include using a tea tree oil solution to kill the demodex mite, or prescribing medications to reduce the inflammation and treat any infection.
Our Blepharitis Clinic allows your Optometrist to assess, diagnose, manage, and treat your Blepharitis, all within the practice.
You will first be asked to attend an initial blepharitis consultation, where we will take a detailed history of your general health and any medication you are currently taking. We will then discuss your symptoms, how your symptoms have changed with time, and any treatments you have previously tried.
Following this your Optometrist will thoroughly examine your eyes, looking for any signs of infection or inflammation.
This will allow your Optometrist to diagnose the type of blepharitis you have and determine an effective treatment plan.
The cost of a Blepharitis consultation is £60.